Memorial Day 2024

 


Memorial Day always has my mind going in many directions as I once again share some of my thoughts and memories.

I would like to thank Deano for sending this out. Very important to note the difference between today and Veterans Day in November. I feel so privileged to be around some of our group, only slightly older than myself, who were literally whisked halfway around the world as teenagers to the very definition of 'A Foreign Land' to serve their country. They have forever earned my respect and admiration though they deserve more for what they experienced.

But they are, thankfully, still here and they know more than most that today is to remember those who never returned.

A recent article in the local paper about Memorial Day touches on how it has changed over the years. The decision in 1971 to make it a 3-day weekend has expectedly made it more of a commercial thing like the rest of our holidays. And like many things older people cherish or hold dear, it does not mean as much to younger generations. 

I am going to tie in Memorial Day with the 80th anniversary of D-Day, which is just a few days away, with this childhood memory of how things were perceived then. 

The movie 'The Longest Day' was released in 1962 with the largest cast of Hollywood stars ever assembled. It is, of course, the story of D-Day.



Naturally, John Wayne figured prominently. This was released only 18 years after the actual event. I saw this at the theatre, likely a year later when some movies were recycled, at the age of 7. Didn't understand much then but I have watched it numerous times since and also read the book it was based on. Still fascinates me.

The point is that at that time we still looked at this as a heroic event. Soldiers were heroes when I was growing up. Take a look at what I viewed in my Christmas catalog when I was 7.



Pretty sure my brother and I had the Iwo Jima set.



So many to choose from and of course, G I Joe,


It was okay to 'play Army' with toy soldiers or with our guns chasing around the neighborhood or local woods.

I also remember at that age being taken to the local VFW by my uncle many times as that is invariably where the family ended up when Uncle Hank wanted a refreshing drink. I remember him explaining to me what the VFW was, and I understood even then how special it was for him to be part of such a brotherhood. I also remember thinking that they would never have any new members since there was never going to be another war. Hey, I was only 7.

Sadly, that VFW is long gone along with all those men. Anyway, it is easy to see how the older generation sees things differently.

Please spend your Memorial Day with the message at the top in mind.

I will borrow the last line from Manuel Castaneda Jr. who lost his Marine Father in 1966 and tries not to judge others who spend today differently from him, "How can I expect them to understand the depth of what I feel when they haven't experienced anything like that."

Comments

  1. Thanks again Randy, I guess it’s maturing on my part but Memorial Day means more to me every year. It used to just be a week that I used to have to bust my ass in the soda business but now take time to reflect. Deano please keep publishing that reading every year. Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  2. This commentary by Randy is so special . Having just visited D Day beaches and “ feeling “ the importance of those days , l feel overwhelmed with gratitude to all those who fought so that we can enjoy the benefits of freedom . Doc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy thank you , memories of friends no longer with us . Ones that never left and ones that came home and still suffer .
    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

St. Pat's Day Sunday 3/17

Mother's Day 5/12

Champion Golfer Full Coverage