Saturday March 25

Thursday Results, Last Spring Monday, Birdie Bingo Update, "If I Wrote a Golf Book" all in this Weekend Edition








The winds calmed down enough today for several of our 14 golfers to post some mighty fine scores.
Top of the list goes to our Co-Medalists Rodney and Raymond with their +6's. Great job also Bob, Roger, and KZ at +5 along with Doc at +4.

Glen posts a +3 to go with his game high 33 points.

Bob's CTP on 18 peeked inside the hole as it finished just inches past the cup.

Raymond's 3 birdies on the Front caged the Rabbit to go along with his team's FBT sweep.

Jeff goes for the money!



Last Monday of Spring

Weather looks good for our last chance to play on Monday until fall. To make up for this day as the weather warms up, we will likely start a 'BB's Weekend Edition' next month. It will probably be a limited number of available spots, so we will figure it out as we go. Executive meetings daily after play if you want to be in the loop.

Birdie Bingo Update

Weather forecast says Monday through Thursday play looks good with Friday iffy with rain. Regardless which day is our last day of play, our scores posted Friday night will set our Bingo teams. Four 5-man teams will be the format this go-round. Play will start Tuesday April 4th and continue until one team covers their card. Good luck to all.

If I Wrote a Golf Book

Shelly and I heard a podcast featuring a weekend golfer who wrote a book. He is not a writer by profession but had some funny takes on his golf outings playing with strangers most weekends as he would be placed in a group with an opening. I laughed at some of his stories and, unfortunately, bought the book. Have you ever seen a movie preview of a comedy only to find out the only funny parts you had already watched in the preview? That's what I thought of this guy's book. Actually, I didn't bother to finish it as it kind of just fizzled out of anything interesting. Shelly may have mentioned, "You could have written better than that". Or maybe she didn't say it but maybe I really wanted her to say it. Either way, I will not be writing a golf book. BUT IF I DID, the first chapter would have to include my first round of golf experience. You can scroll down past the numbers if you have any interest in in reading my humble attempt as an author.





The Origin of Golf (for me anyway)


                                        Chapter 1

Uncle Russ 

Growing up in the 60's, I am sure I experienced a pretty typical lifestyle of those times in small town USA. My mother's family would gather most every Sunday at my grandma's house for food and conversation, actually many conversations at once with no consideration of one at a time. This lasted from noon until at least the end of Bonanza or Ed Sullivan. I know everyone reading this remembers that Sundays back then were for family and taking a day off. No shopping or winery hopping in those days. I had 8 aunts and 7 uncles of which most showed up regularly.

I will say that all of my uncles were kind and considerate to me so in no way is this a complaint, but they just didn't have interests that included me tagging along or showing me how to build or fix anything or ever asking if I wanted to throw a ball around. They were all well past their playing days as far as sports go, so nothing was really expected. Except uncle Russ.

He was my youngest uncle, grew up in the St. Louis area, married my aunt Sharon. Even though they lived in St. Charles, they visited most weekends it seemed. Although he was not an athlete himself, he was a sports fan. I remember him staying close to his car at grandma's on the Sunday in 64 when the Cardinals clinched the pennant, so he wouldn't miss Harry Carey's play by play on the car radio. He was blue collar, didn't own tennis shoes, wore loafers if he joined us shooting baskets or playing Indian ball. He would bring a stack of Sporting News magazines with him on their trips down to give him something to do, and he would give them to me when he was finished. (I wish you could compare the content of a late 60's Sporting News with a Sports Illustrated today. Unbelievable how much was in each issue.) So, he was a typical non-athlete sports fan until he was bit by a bug, the golf bug.

By now it was late 60's, wish I could remember the year, and he had discovered golf. He would bring his clubs with him, take swings in the back yard (sound familiar to anyone?) or hit a couple into a field, just to scratch his itch. I watched golf on TV, so I was fascinated at his stories of trying to learn the game. He had a driving range in his back yard he said. A big blanket hung over the clothesline that he hit into. He had joined a weeknight league even though he was a beginner. He talked about it constantly. He was hooked. Then one Sunday after lunch, he announced he was going up to the JC course in Cape to play 9 holes. He asked my brother and I to go along. We both said we would love to go along and watch him play.

 A few things I clearly remember that day.

He said he knew a short cut to the course on a gravel road. I now believe that was Mt Auburn.

I remember when he asked for a beer, he had to walk around the counter and get it himself, as the young lady at the counter was not 21.

But most of all, I remember him telling her he wanted to pay for 3 greens fees and 2 rental bags. We were not there to watch, we were going to play. 

I do not remember a single shot from that day, but my mother, like most people did then, kept everything.




 I can honestly say that I shot a 72 my first round of golf. I guess I added the Nicklaus Palmer signatures at some point.

I am sure Russ was better than a 56 but keeping track of 2 kids shooting 161 in 9 holes had to be distracting. On reflection, beating my brother by 17 is probably what kept him from picking up the game later on.

Though it would be years before I caught the golf bug myself, I will never forget the shock I felt at the moment I realized that uncle Russ was sharing his love of this sport new to him with me. The level of utter generosity, not just the money but also his time and obvious patience with 2 young beginners left a lasting impression on me.

Thinking about it even now tends to overwhelm me with emotion.

Unfortunately, my aunt and uncle split up shortly after (I am sure his golf didn't help) and I pretty much lost contact with him for many years. Another family member reached out to him several years ago and he attended a family Thanksgiving. It was great to catch up with him even though he told me he hadn't golfed in years, falling prey to too many physical ailments. He seemed pleased to hear how important golf was to Shelly and me.

It wasn't long after that we heard of his passing. 

Many times, I have heard or read the golf question, "Who would be your dream foursome, living or dead?" Often the answers include Palmer, Woods, Hogan, and other greats of the past and present. Billie Jo has been mentioned in some circles. Many people include their dads of course.

I have no idea who the other 2 would be for this dream foursome, but for me, my first pick would be Uncle Russ.

I still owe him a round.



 





Comments

  1. Randy - what a great tribute . Well written . Chapter one complete - start chapter two . ( your awesome story about your Dad must be included) . Well done . 👍Doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT blog Randy!
    Takes me back to going out to Uncle Sonny’s to play badminton, run around on the farm then listen to my uncles rapping their knuckles on the table playing pinochle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding job…not only of the blog but also your tribute to an uncle who sowed the seed for ur passion in this wacky game we call golf!! Deano

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

St. Pat's Day Sunday 3/17

Mother's Day 5/12

Champion Golfer Full Coverage